Friday, May 22, 2009

Before I have even finished my first cup of tea....

This just does me in, a 3 y/o boy in New Mexico was suffocated by his mother in the park and then buried in the sand. She was alone, had no support, said she did not want her son to grow up unloved like she was. She has tried to commit suicide in jail. She turned herself in. No criminal record, no drug abuse, people say she partied.

This post is not about her so much, and it is not about her son so much, as it is about the situation. This seems to be happening so often. There seems to be such hopelessness, there seem to be such people living existences of solitary pain.

People living near the park raised around $4000 for the boys funeral. Neighbors gathered at a makeshift memorial at the playground consisting of candles, flowers, stuffed animals and toy trucks. Children played at the park; parents and grandparents wept.

Someone from the park neighborhood said they named the boy Baby Angel, but they are glad to know his name. She wants the mother to find out that the son she killed has a lot of people who Love him and would do anything for a child.

Another neighborhood mother commented that she wished she would have been at the park when it happened, she would have helped the mother, she would have called someone, she knows the community could have saved the child. She thinks the mother should have just abandoned him in the park, she knows that someone there would have taken care of him. She believes the neighborhood would have helped the mother.

Is this really how it would have gone down? I wonder. I would like to think so, I would hope so, but truly would it? I have heard stories of communities doing such, but wonder why it is not a given, why do some people get the help and concern they need before it is too late and others do not? It is too late to know for sure now how this could have played out. Did the mom reach out in the past to be ignored? Did others see the warning signs prior and ignore them?

What is the point of buying toys to put at the memorial, there is no longer a little boy to play with them, why were they not given to him when he had breath? Money for a funeral, truly a nice thing to do, but that money could have paid for alot of counselling instead of a funeral.

Would I have done anything if it was in my neighborhood? Do I pay attention to the others in my neck of the world? Truth be told, probably not as I could. That is sad.

These are my ponderings, my questions, my frustrations. Not a great uplifting first post to start my blog with, but there it is, real life early on a Friday Morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment