Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Blowing our Own Horns

Just read this Quote:

Nature doesn't bang any drums when it bursts forth into flower, nor play any dirges when the trees let go of their leaves in the fall

I think that we all need to blow our own horns once in a while, just like the flowers spread their fragrance. But I am never comfortable around those who are always banging their drums.

For most of my life I have felt that I was uncomfortable with this because of something inside of me, some part of me that was not "normal", and that I needed to just get over it. But as people come and go in my life, I have experienced those that live their life as if a megaphone is a standard tool to be used constantly and without reservation. I have tried to work through this, searched myself to find why it does not set well, but just come up empty.

Reading the quote today puts it into perspective for me at a deep level. I think of the flowers that have bloomed in remote parts of the world, that have never been seen by a human. Is their presence any less than the flowers grown by man and delivered to people to be admired as gifts, or the flowers that are photographed, or painted?

No, they are just as remarkable, just as dazzling, just as unique, just as special and one of a kind, just as giving and offering. The only difference is that one just "IS", while the others are promoted.

Promotion brings a manufactured awareness. Promotion can also guide and direct the awareness instead of just letting the awareness come to be as it should naturally.

I am glad for the flowers in my yard, but I am also grateful for all their brothers and sisters around the world that I will never be aware of personally. When I celebrate the flowers in my life, I also celebrate the flowers everywhere.

I like that nature just is and that I get to become aware of it on my own. Could you imagine what it would be like to go for a walk with trees shouting for attention, flowers with neon advertisements, grass arguing with rocks over who covers the ground the best?

Reading all that I have written above I have realized part of what I do not like about those who beat their drums loudly is that they take away my privilege of discovering their talents /uniqueness for myself. They do not allow me to look,see, become aware in my own way, they take that from me.

Guess I am selfish in that way. Gonna go smell my flowers, sit under my sequoia and ponder it again.

2 comments:

  1. The person who planted those flowers is aware of their beauty and loves to smell their fragrance. Especially if that person can be anywhere they choose to be. I think I prefer ones who do not self promote as well as I get older. I like to discover the details in things with little persuasion behind it. It seems more meaningful in the long run....

    ReplyDelete